The Suffering Soldier

Some few months, there is a childhood memory that was in my mind. Whether it is the spirit of music or something else, I don't know. I remembered one song released in the 90s that we used to dance to, singing the lyrics wrongly and jumping up and down watching a popular Zimbabwean TV program called Ezomgido. The song was hitting me deep in mind and my heart was saying that I need to look for that song. Some few days ago, I happened to bump across the song on my Tik Tik and I got to know the title... "Mwen Ale" by Kassav band. Was released around 1997 if I'm not wrong. Today afternoon, I had to relive those childhood memories and checked it on YouTube. Something further fascinated me, to check the English translation cause the song was performed, I think it's french if I'm not mistaken. Again, the song made more meaning and sense as I reflected on it from a different angle of adulthood and my current situation being cut off and away from friends and family in search of a better and more meaningful experience of life.

A quick summary to the song... A man bids farewell to his family in search of better living conditions and promises his wife and family that he is going to come back and he will love them to the end. The wife resents his departure and asks what she will do if he dies there but he gives his word that he is going to be victorious for the sake of all of them; his own mother, his wife and children. He gives his word that he will not die there, will keep loving and supporting them. The only thing they had to do was to support him and hold his hand, of course symbolically.

This song reflects the situation of most men right now, myself included. Most people may not understand what it's like, to be a man, to be provider, to fight day in-day out. Sometimes, we have to detach in order to make things work out and that process is very painful since all want to live in comfort. Imagine the life of a gallant warrior or a soldier. His country depends on him, his family waits expectantly for his return, they also love him. Come to think of his fears I the battlefield, seeing some of his friends dying, yet keeping up hope of coming back to his family that at times may not value him or respect him.

Men are going through untold sufferings out there. They also need love too, and support from all angles. 
I reach out to all men who are undergoing difficult moments caring for their loved ones, those cut off from their children and family either by distance or emotional issues like forced divorces and mental health issues. May they heal from those untold and unshared experiences biting through them.

Mutsawashe cares.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is really reflective, thanks for that and I hope a lesson is picked from it for us to be appreciative to those men toiling to make ends meet, those toiling to resuscitate their relationship and family.
Ichie Ngozika 1. said…
It takes a lot of time to reflect upon the life events as each day passes on. The suffering soldier keeps looking ahead and being watchful to hold the promises made. Life outside and far away from your people for many, has proved not sweet, but we continue in pain for the better future and in search for understanding out purpose in life. Life is mutual and this mutuality practiced, brings the peace of soul to both ends.
Anonymous said…
Great read. We sometimes forget how the weight of expectations on men affect them and especially their mental health. This is mainly because the grips of toxic masculinity are too much esp for African societies.
Muzvare said…
But yet when you decide to leave I too must soldier on taking care of the family in your absence.....it's not easy on both sides of course but at the end of the day there is need for support and love for all to conquer

Popular Posts